Monday, May 12, 2008

the last few days

Day 4
The inconsistencies of my wireless internet and irregular wind patterns has drawn me to a new way to entertain myself during the midday heat and onshore winds. Is it a bad thing? Honestly, NO. The last two days the winds have been howling onshore just in time for the first solid south of the trip to come into town. Funny how that works sometimes. We are still on the early morning wake up schedule and I still set my housing up in the dark in hopes of looking off my third floor balcony and seeing lines of groomed perfection. Instead my eyes have been staring at nothing but onshore, mixed up, rip current infested junk. So rather than going back to bed, we have started training harder in anticipation of the day when it does get good. A morning stretch, run, and bodysurf has become the norm. Today the waves while we were bodysurfing solid stormy waves tested our lags after running in the soft sand. I got a couple really fun waves bodysurfing and one big airdrop to closeout thing that put me in the zone for roughly 5 waves straight on the head. I came up laughing! After the morning excersise it was on to Cafecito for a 2 hour breakfest of fresh fruit and French Toast. With the winds not being the best and not much else to do, we do what we can to make the time go by. Games of pool for beers, underwater laps in the pool and talks of eating tacos have become our daily ritual. Tomorrow is a new day, hopes are high, and if the waves aren’t good, there is always the run and bodysurf to keep my spirits high for the following day.

Day 8
Its 6:30 in the morning, the wind has been howling onshore for the last 3 days. I’m starting to lose it. Another good swell ruined by onshore winds. This will be the last time I come to Puerto in May. This isn’t the way I had envisioned this trip going. Rather than the usual morning offshores and afternoon glass-offs, we have been plagued. Not only is the swell smaller than yesterday, there isn’t much on the horizon either. So here I am at 6:30 in the morning trying to figure out what to do for the rest of the day. The wireless internet isn’t working, I have seen all my movies too many times to count, my book is almost done and I’m supposed to be here another 3 weeks..yeah right, we’ll see if that happens.

Day 8 part II
8:45am…Derek, Isaac, Chris, and myself decided we had to do something to kill some time so we decided to run to the point and back. 30 minutes later we were back where we started and feeling good. It was a great way to start the morning and keep motivated to be in shape for when the waves do decide to get good. We walked to Cafecito to get some breakfest afterwards and ran into Ruben having coffee. I asked him how much longer he thinks the wind will stay like this. He said last May Aichner waited 25 days. That is a long time to be down here without getting any good days. Lets hope that is not the case this year. Apparently the onshores are a result of the burning of the bushes further inland. We are waiting on the first rain now…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a knack for writing. You should consider taking it seriously and possibly offering it in editorial pieces. It is usually some random dude on the trip that writes the shit. You could be that random dude. Any ways. I am broke as fuck after my Hassy purchase, hope you make good use of yours. I am not sure if Ill ever make it to Puerto. I definitly wont be making it down this month. Sorry bro. I am just fuck hurting for cash. On the way to making some money though we will see what happens. High hopes, my website is almost done, just got to write a bio and upload the photos for my last gallery and do load movie. Anyhow, sorry I am not in puerto with you. I wish I were.
_your bro