Monday, February 8, 2010

old random photos

I was going through some old folders and came across these photos from some travels, some surfs, and some good times...
Jeremy Sherwin at Seaside the summer of 08.  I was frothing to shoot and my friend Billy Watts was there and offered to hold the flash for me.  This shot was never run, the wave is kind of small and flat, but I liked the effect of the speedblur on Jeremy.


While interning for Steven Lippman, Bummy and I would carpool down to his studio in Malibu and surf Zuma before we did our intern duties.  This morning we woke up extra early, drove from SB and shot small, but really clean westwards.  Shooting flash in the morning is a ton of fun and can create some great images, but you do lose a lot of sleep in the process.


This shot of Bede Durbich was never run, but for some reason I really liked it.  You can tell he was going fast and through the tail out.  It gives you a paddlers perspective of a turn I will never be able to do.


x-process film shot of Santa Barbara harbor.  I love how smooth the water is inside the harbor even though on the other side sandspit was going off.


Jordy Smith..this was his first wave of the day.  He pulled this.


New York Mike in San Sebastian, september 2008
Cheyne Mags loves french people and baguettes


Mikes brand new board got thrashed by Air France so we all took turns chopping it up with an axe.


Derek Dunfee with his 10'0 Pat Curren the day before we went to Mavericks on her maiden voyage.   I wanted to get a shot of him with the board just in case anything happened to it the next day.  He ended up getting a bomb on his first wave, ate shit, and Jeff Clarke found his board in the rip about a half a mile away.  Luckily there were no dings and he was able to get a few more waves.
Kieren Perrow in El Salvador.  We went down there for a catalogue shoot for Rhythm clothing and had 5 days of fun surf.  We didn't find any slabs, but we did surf uncrowded right hand points with warm water.  This was shot on the second day.  I tried shooting off the boat, but the driver was sketchy so I opted for the safety of my waterhousing and bodyboard.


Same trip as above...
Bummy again from his first trip to Puerto Escondido. He ate the Ham and Cheese Sandwhich on the airplane and was throwing up before we got to our hotel room.  Montezumas revenge was in full effect.  This photo was taken one night when I woke up to him puking in the shower.  First thing I did was ask if he was ok, when he said "yes" I knew it was ok to come in with my camera and snap a couple photos..hahaha.  poor fella. after that night, he disappeared for two days (which is hard to do in a small town) and I came back to the room with this note on my door.  Still have that note!

No comments: